"Cavan, an incorporated market and post-town, (formerly a parliamentary borough) in the parish of Urney, barony of Upper Loughtee, county of Cavan (of which it is the chief town), and province of Ulster, 25½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Enniskillen, and 55 (N. W. by W.) from Dublin ; containing 2931 inhabitants. This town was, from a period of remote antiquity, the scat of the O'Reillys, tanists of the district now forming the county to which it gives name, and who had a castle here, of which there are no other remains than some vaults and part of the foundation."
[From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary (1837)]
[Last updated: 20th July 2002 - Colin Ferguson ]
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|