GENUKI Home page

Cavan Cavan   Contents Contents   Parish Tomregan

Ballyconnell

H2718 : Old Market House Ballyconnell Co. Cavan by Rick Crowley
Old Market House Ballyconnell Co. Cavan
  © Copyright Rick Crowley and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
"Ballyconnell, a market and post-town, in the parish of Tomregan, barony of Tullaghagh, county of Cavan and province of Ulster (12.5 miles W by NW) from Cavan and sixty eight miles from Dublin; containing 453 inhabitants. This place had its origin in the English settlement in the time of Jas. 1 when Captain Culme and Walter Talbot received 1500 acres, on which, at the time of the Pynnar's survey in 1619, was a strong bawn one hundred foot square and twelve foot high, with two flanking towers and a strong castle, three stories high, the whole occupying a site well adapted for the defence of the surrounding country."
[From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

Cemeteries

Description and Travel

History

Maps

Return to top of page

Military Records

Societies

Return to top of page

[Last updated: 25th April 2002 - Colin Ferguson ]

Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.