|Cavan||Contents||Towns and Parishes|
Scrabby, or Ballimackellenny, a post-town and parish, in the barony of Tulloghonoho, county of Cavan, and province of Ulster, 15 miles (S. W.by S.) from Cavan, and 70 (N. N. W.) from Dublin; containing 2668 inhabitants, of which number, 183 are in the town. This small town, which in 1881 contained 40 houses, consists chiefly of one street extending along the road from Arvagh to Granard; it has a sub-post-office to Crossdoney, and fairs are held on Feb. 10th, May 12th, Aug. 1st, and Dec. 12th. The parish comprises, accord-ing to the Ordnance survey, 6661 statute acres, of which 1182 are in Lough Gowna; the land is of indifferent quality. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, forming part of the union of Granard: the rectory is in dispute. The tithes amount to £157.16. 11., of which £87.18 10. is payable to the vicar, the remainder is rectorial. The church adjoins the town.
[From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary (1837)]
Lough Gowna, photo from This is Cavan and Monaghan, The Green Guide Series, Dublin, 1950?
[Last updated: 31 March 2003 - Colin Ferguson ]
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|