GENUKI Home page

Cavan Cavan   Contents Contents   Parish Killashandra

Arvagh

N2797 : Market House, Arvagh by Oliver Dixon
Market House, Arvagh
  © Copyright Oliver Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Arvagh, a market and post-town, and a parish, in the barony of Tulloghonoho, County of Cavan, and province of Ulster, 10¾ miles (S.W.) from Cavan, and, by way of that town, 66 miles (N. W. by W.) from Dublin; containing 4580 inhabitants, of which number, 422 are in the town. This parish is situated on the road from Killesandra to Scrabby, near the point of junction of the three counties of Cavan, Leitrim, and Longford, and was formed by the disunion of thirty townlands from the parish of Killesandra. Near the town is the lake of Scraba, one of the sources of the river Erne, which, with the lakes through which it runs, is commonly called in its entire extent Lough Erne. The market is on Friday, and is well supplied with provisions : the market-house, situated in the centre of the town, was built by the Earl of Gosford, to whom the town belongs. Fairs are held on Jan. 28th, March 95th, April 1st, May 2nd, June 8th, Aug. 8th Sept. 23rd, Nov. 1st, and Dec. 23rd. Here is a station of the constabulary police. The living is a perpetual cure, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Killesandra: the perpetual curate has a fixed income of £75 per annum late currency, of which £50 is paid by the incumbent of Killesandra, and £25 from the funds of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The church was built by aid of a gift of £900 and a loan of £100, in 1819, from the late Board of First Fruits. The glebe-house is small but conveniently built; and the glebe comprises 21 acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish remains included in the union or district of Kil- lesandra, and has a chapel, situated at Corronee. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan methodists. There are two public schools, one in the town and the other at Corronary, and other private and Sunday schools in the parish.
[From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary (1837)]

History

Return to top of page

Land and Property

Return to top of page

[Last updated: 22 December 2002 - Colin Ferguson ]

Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.