"A market town, in the parish of Enniskeen, barony of Clankee, county of Cavan, is 47 miles N.N.W. from Nobber, 7.5 S.S.E. from Shercock, the same distance east from Bailieborough and west from Carrickmacross, lying on the road between the two last named towns, and on that leading from Dublin to Clones, about a mile, and a half from the junction of the counties of Cavan, Meath and Monaghan. It consists of one long street, spacious but irregular, about the middle of which is a convenient and neat market-house, with a good clock. With the exception of its extensive corn market, the trade of the place is unimportant, and unmarked by any prominent branch."
[From Slater's Directory (1896)]
[Last updated: 23 April 2004 - Colin Ferguson ]
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|