GENUKI Home page

Cavan Cavan   Contents Contents   Towns and Parishes Towns and Parishes

Drumlane

H3313 : Milltown Cavan by Stephen Burton
Milltown Cavan
  © Copyright Stephen Burton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
"Drumlane, a parish, in the barony of Lower Loughtee, county of Cavan, and province of Ulster, on the road from Clones to Ballyconnell; containing, with part of the post-town of Belturbet, 8457 inhabitants. A monastery was founded here in the sixth century, by Saint Edan, Bishop of Ferns, which became subject to the abbey of St. Mary at Kells. The cemetary was formerly the place of interrment for the chieftans of Breffni, and is still a favourite place of burial. Within its limits are the remains of an ancient round tower built of limestone and red clay."
[From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

Biography

Return to top of page

Cemeteries

History

Return to top of page

Land and Property

Return to top of page

Military Records

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Newspapers

Return to top of page

Town Records

Return to top of page

[Last updated: 04 October 2004 - Colin Ferguson ]