"Ballyhaise, a market and post-town, in the parish of Castleterra, barony of upper Loughtee, county of Cavan, and province of Ulster, 3 miles from Cavan, and 59 miles from Dublin, on the road from Cavan to Cootehill. ; containing 142 houses and 761 inhabitants. Ballyhaise House, the seat of W. Humphreys, Esq., is a spacious mansion, with an elevated front curiously ornamented with arches. The linen trade was formerly carried on here to a very considerable extent, but is now extinct. There is a tanyard, employing 7 or 8 persons; and near the town are some extensive flour and oatmeal-mills."
[From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]
[Last updated: 10 Mar 2005 - Colin Ferguson ]
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|