GENUKI Home page

Cavan Cavan   Contents Contents   Parish Castlerahan

Ballyjamesduff

N5390 : Statue of Percy French  in the Town Square of Ballyjamesduff. by Eddie Mellor
Statue of Percy French in the Town Square of Ballyjamesduff.
  © Copyright Eddie Mellor and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
"Ballyjamesduff, a market and post-town, and a district parish, in the barony of Castlerahan, county of Cavan, and province of Ulster, eight miles from Cavan and 44 miles from Dublin; containing 3227 inhabitants of which number 863 are in the town. The town is situated on the old mail-coach road from Virginia to Cavan and consists of five streets, containing together 150 houses. The market is on Tuesday and is amply supplied. Here is a constabulary police station, and petty sessions are held. The parish was created in 1831, by disuniting nine townlands from the parish of Castleraghan, five from that of Denn, two from Lurgan, and four from the parish of Kildrumferton."
[From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

History

Military Records

Names, Personal

Return to top of page

[Last updated: 22 December 2002 - Colin Ferguson ]

Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.