|Cavan||Contents||Towns and Parishes|
Annagelliff, a parish, in the barony of Upper Loughtee county of Cavan, and province of Ulster 1 mile (N.E. by E.) from Cavan, on the road from that place to Virginia; containing 4841 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey 8260¼ statute acres, of which 5096 are applotted under the tithe act. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmorec, forming, with that of Urney, the union of Urney and Annageliffe, in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in the Representatives of Richard, Earl of Westmeath. The tithes amount to £217. 16. 11½ which £62. 2. 2½ payable to the impropriator, and £255. 14. 9. to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Urney, or, as it is more commonly called Cavan: the chapel is a large building, situated at Stragolla. There are a parochial school, and a school on the townland of Curlurgan; also four hedge schools.
[From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary (1837)]
[Last updated: 04 October 2004 - Colin Ferguson ]
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|