Blaine's Christmas Trivia Puzzle (©1998)
|Choose the correct answer for each question below, and then
place its letter in the corresponding space above. The resulting phrase
read from left to right will be a message appropriate for the season.
- The Grinch attempted to steal Christmas from what village?
F = Merryvalley
G = Diffendoofer
E = Who-ville
- Who wrote A Christmas Carol?
A = Charles Dickens
E = Emily Bronte
R = Mark Twain
- In A Christmas Carol, who was Ebenezer Scrooge’s partner?
A = Bob Cratchit
C = Jacob Marley
L = Tiny Tim
- Which trio of singing "Tamias Striatus" had a #1 single in
I = Plácido Domingo, José Carreras and Luciano Pavarotti
N = The McGuire Sisters
H = Simon, Theodore and Alvin
- The editor of which newspaper wrote "Yes, Virginia, there is a
T = Boston Herald
S = New York Sun
C = San Francisco Chronicle
- In "A Visit from St. Nick," what were the children
M = Sugarplums
K = Stockings
I = Reindeer
- In 1818, why did Austrian priest Joseph Mohr write "Silent
N = To commemorate the signing of the Treaty of Ghent ending the
War of 1812.
S = The bishop was visiting.
A = The church organ was broken so he wrote a piece that could be
played on a guitar.
- On the 8th day of Christmas, what did my true love give
G = Eight pipers piping
E = Eight lords a-leaping
L = Eight maids a-milking
- According to the carol, who looked out on the Feast of Stephen?
N = Frosty the Snowman
W = Jolly St. Nick
L = Good King Wenceslas
- What’s the name of the angel in "It’s a Wonderful
J = Clarence
I = Andrew
D = George
- During the filming of "It’s a Wonderful Life," what was
used to simulate snow?
I = Cotton balls
S = Confetti
O = Bleached corn flakes
- Name the department store in "Miracle on 34th
H = FAO Schwartz
Y = Macy’s
C = Marks and Spencer
- The Christmas Tree tradition originated in which country?
I = Germany
E = England
K = United States
- Who composed the music for the "Nutcracker Ballet"?
F = Vivaldi
I = Dvorak
S = Tchaikovsky
- When is the Twelfth Day of Christmas?
F = December 25th
S = December 26th
A = January 6th
- When was Christmas first celebrated?
O = 100 B.C.
T = In the 4th Century
M = 1965
- Why was December 25th chosen as Christmas Day?
R = To compete with a pagan celebration.
Y = That’s known to be the exact date when Jesus was born.
H = That’s when Christmas trees are in season.
- How did mistletoe get tied to a tradition of kissing?
A = In ancient times it was used to make love potions.
E = It had been associated with the Scandinavian love goddess.
K = Eating it makes your mouth pucker.
- In the common abbreviation Xmas, what does X represent?
A = The Greek letter Chi which begins Christ’s name.
I = The cross on which Christ was crucified.
V = Its origin is unknown.
- December 26th was traditionally known as St. Stephen’s
Day but is more commonly known, in places like England, as what?
E = Epiphany
N = The Feast of St. Nicholas
S = Boxing Day
- How long did it take Handel to compose the "Messiah"?
U = 3 weeks
R = 3 months
D = 3 years
- In Australia, usual Christmas activities include:
Y = Building snowmen
E = Sledding
R = Surfing
- Who is the nutcracker’s main enemy in the "Nutcracker
E = King of the Mice
M = Drosselmeyer the Magician
S = Clara
- Which popular Christmas song was first written for Thanksgiving?
E = Joy to the World
T = Jingle Bells
D = Frosty the Snowman
- What country did poinsettias originally come from?
S = Spain
O = Mexico
R = Brazil
- "Mele Kalikima" is "Merry Christmas" in what
B = Hawaiian
R = Indonesian
P = Swedish
- When spelling out the names of Santa’s reindeer using Scrabble®
tiles, which would have the highest point value?
I = Rudolph
E = Blitzen
Y = Vixen
- What is the easy to remember address of my personal web site?
C = welcome.to/blaine
What did I do on May 2nd, 1998 while wearing a tuxedo?
R = www.microsoft.com
Y = www.nasa.org
H = Sang the Vivaldi Gloria, Duruflé Requiem and Poulenc Gloria.
What did I do on May 10th, June 27th, and
September 12th of 1998?
I = Bungee jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge.
M = Took down my Christmas lights.
R = Watched reruns of Seinfeld.
What did my sister do on July 11th, 1998?
E = Rafted down Tuolumne River, Merced River and Cache Creek
T = Took my only showers this year.
I = Went to see "Lethal Weapon 4"
When my co-workers and I were treated to a cruise on the bay in
August 1998, what were we celebrating?
B = Made a snowman and went skiing.
R = Got married to Jeff.
I = Completing our Y2K changes.
What role did I play in the recent production of "Our
L = Learning what Y2K stands for.
S = Nothing
A = Emily Webb
What’s the name of my cousin who was born in England on
November 24th, 1998?
S = Doc Gibbs
T = Howie Newsome
I = Jeremy
What game did we play after Thanksgiving dinner 1998 at
Aunt Dottie & Uncle John’s house?
M = Grace
H = Amelia
A = Monopoly
What color(s) are the Christmas lights on my house?
E = Sequence
N = Twister
= Red and green, alternating
E = All white
S = Orange, pink and purple
Answers: 1-E, 2-A, 3-C, 4-H, 5-S, 6-M, 7-A,
8-L, 9-L, 10-J, 11-O, 12-Y, 13-I, 14-S, 15-A, 16-T, 17-R, 18-E, 19-A, 20-S,
21-U, 22-R, 23-E, 24-T, 25-O, 26-B, 27-E, 28-C, 29-H, 30-E, 31-R, 32-I, 33-S,
34-H, 35-E, 36-D
Secret Phrase: Each small joy is a treasure to be cherished.
and Happy New Year!
Show me your 3-D Christmas Stereogram